Thursday, September 10, 2015

Three weddings

In January of 2004 it was time to turn my little leased Saturn in.  Jay and I decided to buy a truck.  Now Jay’s step-father had worked for GM for many years.  Because of that he got what is called a GM certificate.  It allows GM workers to buy GM cars at wholesale price.  The person who’s name is on the top of the deal, the primary buyer, must be related to said GM employee.  Jay and I are not legal married at this point.  The date has been set, the clothes are being made, the dress has been bought and the invitations have gone out but no we are not married at this point.  My name goes on the top of the deal, because I have a little better credit score then Jay does.  We sign the papers and I take the truck home.  I’d always wanted a truck!

We get a call a few days later from our salesman that there is a problem with the paperwork.  The lien holder had kicked it back because my name is on the top of the deal, I am not official GM family, and not authorized to use the certificate.  We have committed a little bit of fraud.  We have two choices: bring the truck back and try to redo the deal, or get married immediately.  We decide to get married. 
On February 5, 2004 Jay and I are legal married by the local Justice of the Peace, in my Momma’s living room in Keatchie.  I wear a simple white shirt, black skirt and no shoes.  My mother freaks and keeps yelling at me to put my shoes back on.  Oy Vey! It is just my parents, Jay and I and Paige.  It all happened so fast that Jay forgot to invite his parents.  My father gives me away by kissing me on the forehead.  Something he used to do when I was little and sick and he was trying to check my temperature. It’s just our little thing.

As I start to say my vows I become overwhelmed.  My father is standing behind me, I almost faint on him.  He pushes me with two fingers, ‘cause he is a very big man, and says, “Don’t make me get the Shotgun!”  What??  I regain my composure.  We had never practiced our vows.  When I said them for the first time, I wanted them to mean something.  I place my hand over Jay’s heart, swearing on it when I take my vows.  I say all the vows, but I refuse to say that I will obey him.  I believe no one should have to blindly obey anyone.  It should be a choice.
There is an old saying that when you marry someone you marry their whole family, and that is very true.  A wonderful husband with a bad family can be a new bride’s worst enemy.  I know many women who have a lot of trouble with their in-laws.  I am blessed that Jay has a wonderful family.  That is one of the reasons I agreed to marry him. 

I’ve often said that when I married Jay I not only got a husband, but I got a grandmother too.  There is another old saying that men marry their mothers.  While I love my mother in law, and she has never been anything but nice to me, we are very different people.  We are cut from different cloth, me and her.  She loves to shop.  I hate to shop.  She loves shoes and purses.  I despise shoes and spend most of my life barefooted.  At the time I could count my shoes and purses on my hands.  I have since become a bit more girly.  My mother in law is very much a city girl.  Nothing wrong with that, it’s just different.  She is by no means a Novelle!  She and I are both steadfast in our resolve that we love and what whatever is best for Jay. 
Knowing Jay’s mother, and how different we are, I often wondered why he would choose to fall in love with a very country girl like me.  When I met Momma Muriel, Jay’s paternal grandmother, I knew why.  The first time I met her she told me a dirty joke.

“Hey!  You know how to kiss a ducks ass?” she said
“No.” I said

She then blew, as if to blow the feathers away, and made a kissing noise, “But you got to be quick!”
We both exploded in laughter!  She from the joke and me from the fact that this woman of 76 has just said the word ASS.  Novelle would never have done that!  Oh I liked her already.  Momma Muriel and I became fast friends.  We were both country girls and cut from the same cloth you could say.  She’s spent more the 40 years as a nurse and had seen it all.  She was fierce and independent, despite being confined to a scooter most of the time.  She still drove and did all her own errands. 

Momma Muriel lived in an old trailer on 22 acre just north of town.  Her land was full of very tall old pine trees, beautiful Bartlett pear trees, thick woods and a creek.  I feel in love with this place the first time I saw it.  Years later she would ask us to move out here to care for her and in her will she gave it to us as her last gift.  The more I feel in love with this little piece of land, the more I knew I wanted to be married here, in the spring when the Bartlett pears bloomed with their beautiful white flowers. 
I had spent months sewing and weaving clothes for our Ojibwa wedding.  For Jay I made a cream colored drop sleeve shirt.  While not period, it looked nice.  I wove him a belt on an Inkle loom.  He wore his brown canvas pants and a black beaded choker that he had made for himself long ago. 

My regalia had taken months to construct and research.  I had made for myself a purple drawstring skirt, a full length white apron with ribbon embellishment, an embroidered pocket, a handkerchief with a tatted edge, a blue tribal style shirt circa the 1700’s with ribbon embellishment, and a double sided shawl with fringe, in our wedding colors of purple and teal.  Jay made a leather sheath form me to carry my dear antler handled knife in.  We beaded the bottom and added tinkle cones.  We designed the sheath to hang on the string of my pocket.  Jay also made me a beaded choker, and Maddie gave me a cow tooth to hang from it.  I wore my hair in braids.  I also wore a ring given to me by the Caddo tribe years before and earrings made by a Caddo – Adais lady. My maid of honor, Mary, had made me a leather head band, with eagle plumes that Jerry had given me.   In my hands I carried a bouquet of feathers that Mary had also made for me.  Both of these things were her wedding gifts to me.
While I might have looked silly and stupid or disrespectful to some people, I felt beautiful.  I felt I was doing something very true to my heart and my soul.  It was always our intention to be as respectful as we could to a culture we felt such a connection to. 

In attendance were Momma Muriel, my parents, Mary and her husband, Jerry and his wife.  Jay’s parents refused to attend.  Prince, Pumpkin, and Precious looked on at us from the pen.  I had hoped to have them in one of the ceremonies, but having them watch and protect us during this time was the best I could do.
At sunset Jay built us a sacred fire.  We gathered close to it with Jerry and his wife.  She wrapped us in a blanket that Momma Muriel had crocheted many years before.   Jerry brought out a small little bowl to bless the fire with.  Inside was cedar from the tree under which his grandmother was born.  We were all shocked to find out that she and I had the same birthday.  To it we added our gift of tobacco.  Jerry gave me the bowl as a wedding present.  It sits on my altar to this day. 

At some point Jerry tied our hands together and we took our vows to each other.  I think I was crying a lot, ‘cause I don’t remember as much as I should.  Jerry spoke many words to us.  He told us of marriage and to keep our minds and our bodies clean.  He told us we were married in this life and the next and we could never divorce.  We like to joke around our house, that the only man who could undo our marriage is Jerry, and he is long since dead.  We are stuck with each other, whether we like it or not.  Finally Jerry brought out an eagle wing and blessed us with it.  That was the most magical moment for me.  To me this was my wedding.  If you ask me when my anniversary is I will give you this date.   To me everything else was just for show.  There was no reception.  We just all went out later and ate fried catfish, Momma Muriel’s favorite. 
The next day on March 20th, 2004, at 2 o’clock in the afternoon, at Keatchie United Methodist Church, Jay and I were married, again.  We were married in the same church my parents had been married in 22 years before.  Our invitations were simple and printed on parchment paper, in color from our home computer.  They were sealed with a silver wax stamp of two intertwined hearts, our little symbol.  We hand delivered invitations to those we could and mailed the rest to those we could not.  We had about 30 or 40 people in attendance.

The wedding was very simple and informal.  I wore a white chapel length dress with a v-neck and short sleeves.  I was hesitant about wearing white, because I had been married before.  Etiquette says that a bride marrying for the second time should wear cream.  When I told this to Jay he said, “You wear white for me baby.”  I loved that, and so I did.  My hair was piled high on my head with ringlets.  I wore a wreath of flower and ribbons in my hair and carried beautiful silk flowers with ribbons. 
Mary, made all the flowers as her gift to me.  She made all the corsages, flower for the bridesmaids and stood as my Maid of Honor.  Maddie and Paige were my bridesmaids.  Instead of buying stupid dresses for the ladies to wear, that were ridiculously expensive and they would never wear again. I asked that they all wear something purple, something that they would wear again.  They did and they all looked lovely. 

Jay wore a white shirt and black pants.  His grandfather was his Best Man and his friend Robert was his Groomsman.  All of our friends and family were there, yes even Novelle. 
As my Dad walked me down the aisle, I stopped to light a candle in front of a picture of Oma.  We were married by a pastor who’s name I don’t even remember, and I am not sure I had even met before.  By this time we were kind of old hats at this. 

For less than a hundred dollars we rented the Keatchie town hall and held our reception there.  We had a lovely Italian cream cake, with double hearts on it, green sherbet punch, and finger sandwiches.  We had decided on an afternoon wedding, because we didn’t have the money to feed everyone.  It was a nice way for everyone to have a break in their day, and still have time to go home and mow their lawn.  We had our little toast and cut the cake for our friends and family to enjoy.  As Jay does not dance and we have never had a special song, until recently, there was no dancing.  We opened gifts, thanked everyone for coming and went home. 
Jay and I were too poor for such a thing as a honeymoon.  We would not take that until years later.  We just changed clothes, loaded up our dogs, got in our car and headed back home to Ebarb.

Ilsa

 

No comments:

Post a Comment