Thursday, September 10, 2015

Katrina and Rita

By the time I post this, y’all will be sick of hearing about the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. She  made landfall in Louisiana on August 29th, 2005.  Much has been said about the plight of those that fled from the storm.  Katrina blew people across the country.  Many don’t know that the rest of Louisiana absorbed a majority of the evacuees.  For those that had cars or RV’s they drove until they thought they were safe.  A lot of people went to Lake Charles, A lot went to Shreveport, and some came to Sabine Parish.  Church’s opened up their doors and people opened up their homes.  It was a disaster the whole state felt, not just New Orleans. 

I had been looking for, but unable to find work for the last 9 months, when the storms hit.  Suddenly there were jobs in Sabine Parish.  I called to inquire about them, but was told I had to be a Katrina evacuee to apply. 
My firsthand accounts of some of those people, you may not like, but it is true.  I was working at the Many United Methodist Church’s relief center.  I was helping to serve food, donating clothes and blankets, and doing what I could.  I watched these people be more concerned with doing their hair then keeping their little areas clean.  I was serving dinner one day, and a little boy comes up, he must have been about 8 or 10.  I ask him which dish he would like.  He tells me. I say “what do you say?”  I was waiting for a please or a thank you.  He says, “give it to me now.”  No one in line corrected or admonished him for his bad behavior.  I quit the next day.  I would not put up with such rudeness. 

Jay came home and told us about evacuees stealing from his Family Dollar in Shreveport.  How they would just load up buggies and run out the back door before they could catch them.  This happened twice.  They didn’t need to steal, everything was provided for them.  Some of them coming in and just reaching out their arms to knock any and everything off the shelves, rows and rows of things.  It did not help that corporate came in to evaluate them at this time.  These people’s actions caused Jay and his manager and BFF, Kenny to get in a lot of trouble.  Can I prove it was Katrina evacuees that did this? No, but I can tell you while the emergency shelters were open, this is the only time these things ever happened at the store. 
I remember driving past one of the big emergency shelters.  I had stopped at a red light near there.  I noticed there were all these people standing in the street.  When we stopped for the light these evacuees began banging on the cars demanding money.  When the light turned green I floored it, and got the hell out of there. 

I know that many of the evacuees that came here were good, kind and grateful people.  Many of them stayed and add their richness to our community.  I am sure someone will write and tell me that I should not be so hard on them.  They had lost everything and explain their behavior away.  To put myself in their shoes and I have.  What I saw, what I experienced was a bunch of ungrateful, hateful people who could not careless about what was being done for them.  How others were sacrificing for them.  If I had just been thru, what they had, I would be immensely grateful for what I had been given.  I would have been helpful. 
Millions were poured out for Katrina.  Entertainment stars got on planes and pulled people out of New Orleans.  Many of them remain active in helping to rebuild New Orleans today.  Benefits and telethons were held for those affected by Katrina.  When Rita hit a month later, no body carried.  No stars came to our rescue.  Those of us caught in the storm just hunkered down and soldiered on.  As in the case of most hurricanes around here, we took care of our own.  People who had escaped to Lake Charles, Shreveport and Sabine Parish got hit again.

Rita made landfall September 24, 2005.  She was a Category 3 when she hit. She had been downgraded from a Category 5.  It took a few days for her to reach my house on Peach Tree Hill.  She was Category 1 when she came over the house.  I will never forget the sound of her coming over the house.  The 70 mile an hour winds sounded like God rolling out pizza dough on my roof.  It rained, and rained, and rained, the sky turned green, but no thunder, no lightning.  I sat in a rocking chair and rocked Prince for 5 hours while he freaked out, as the major part of the storm blew over.   Jay just slept it off.  For several days I had been bottling water.  The night before the storm hit I put the sheets in the freezer to cool.  I knew when the power went off it was going to get hot, fast.  When the power did go off I covered Jay with the frozen sheet and fanned him all night long while he bitched about how hot it was.   
We made it three days, in hundred degree heat, with no power.  Thank god we had gas and bottles of water.  But everything in our refrigerator was ruined, except the mustard and the chow-chow.  I don’t think anything can kill either of those.  We were lucky in that the state issued disaster food stamps for everyone affected by the storm.  Jay was staying in Shreveport with family working.  After three days I packed up the kids and went to my mom’s.  I think we stayed about a week before we came back home.

Momma Muriel saw that we were struggling.  She was not in the best of health at this time.  Since I had met her she had gone into congestive heart failure and was now on dialysis three times a week.  She had also fallen several times.  She’d fall in the middle of the night, press her life alert and they would call us.  There was not much we could do since we lived so far away.  At the time Momma Muriel and I were discussing her going into an assisted living facility, something which she really did not want to do.  She called me after Rita hit and said, “Look Jay can’t keep driving back and forth to Shreveport for work.  I don’t want to go into a nursing home.  Why don’t I pay to move y’all up here, in back of my place?  I’ll live my life, you live yours and we will meet in the middle.  How does that sound?”  We jumped at the chance. 

Ilsa

No comments:

Post a Comment