Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Ebarb years

The Buddhist have a saying, “first the love, and then the laundry.”  It means once all the excitement is over then you go back to the regular rhythm of life and it’s daily chores.  And that’s just what we did.  Jay did not move in with me until after our first wedding.  He was still working for Albertson’s in Shreveport at the time.  Some days he would stay with Momma Muriel, some with his mom, and some with me.  He was steadily looking for work closer to home.  I was working for Fort Jesup and volunteering with the Sabine Parish Humane Society.

I am hesitant to tell you the rest, because I still want to please you.  However, as I am committed to writing the truth of my life, I must be ready to admit my mistakes.  I am culpable for my actions. Let me first say that I was good park ranger, tour guide, historic interpreter, whatever you want to call me.  I knew my stuff. I did as much research about the time period and our little fort that I could.  I understood how it functioned in the community, it’s role in the state and national scene.  I loved to listen to local people talk about the fort and what it had meant to them.  The best compliment I ever got was that I gave a better tour then the guides at Gettysburg.  I talked to my guests and found out what they did for a living and what their hobbies were.  I used that to gear the tours to what they were interested in. I heard many stories, entertained and broadened many minds in my days there.  I had monthly programs and built up a volunteer base.  When I left we had increased our attendance by quite a bit.  I was very pleased at the work I had done there. 
However in Louisiana when you work for the state you have to play a bit of politics.  I am not very good at it.  I’m just not a good liar.  Someone just starting out with the state usually has very few connections.  I am also not very good at working in a group.  I just never have been.  I tend to want to take charge, if I see there is not effective leadership.  I was given little training for my job and basically at times thrown to the wolves.  I was told go make a program, and get us more attendance without any idea of how to do that.  Thank the gods for the fort keeping records of past programs or I would never have even been able to fill out the paper work.  I did the best I could.

Working at the fort, like most things in Louisiana was at times feast or famine.  One day I would have 40 school kids come in and then I would not see another living soul on the property for two days.  Fort Jesup had 3 managers in the year and a half that I was there.  The first one was kind of a dud.  The third one was a pawn, but the second one, she ….she was a nightmare.  Her name was Kathleen.
I am not blameless in this, mistakes were made and I was in the wrong on many occasions.  There were many strong women who were fighting for control of the fort’s future.  My job could be very, very boring.  I spent many hours on the computer, sometimes researching about the fort and others like it from that time period, and sometimes goofing off.  When we were asked to move all of our ranger things to the third floor, I built a palate, and often napped between guests.  I got caught and reprimanded for this.  Not the best move, but something I should mention in my effort of full disclosure.  

The things they asked me to do often befuddled me.  I watched my bosses take credit for things that I did.  Things I planned and initiated.  I was given paperwork for another park and told to write the programs for their interpreter.  I refused.  If I had to do my own work, he had to too.  They would tell me to clean exhibits that were already clean.  Clean bathrooms that were spotless.  Mop floors that had no dirt on them.  We had a cleaning lady and a maintenance staff of two, for our little less than 5 acre park.  I would often bring my sewing, embroidery, or crochet with me, or use the spinning wheel to pass the hours.  I even learned to play a period instrument, though badly. 
Kathleen was awful.  She was verbally, mentally and emotionally abusive to all of us.  Everything was by the book to her.  Her way often went against what I was being told by hire ups.  She would chastise me for the littlest of things, like picking common wildflowers at the park or once taking a ride around the park on a motorcycle with some guests.  Things I saw as harmless.  Then there was my dress.  Our district manager, Tommy, told me he wanted me in historical dress at all times.  She told me she wanted me in our park uniforms.  I did what Tommy told me to do.  This caused a great bone of contention between us.

In September of 2004 I had my annual review.  It was basically a yelling session.  I was told what a horrible ranger I was and that the only reason I was going to be allowed to stay was because they had yet to find someone qualified to do my job.  I was basically a place hold, a human book mark, until they could find someone else.  Again Kathleen told me there was something wrong with me and how stupid I was.  I began to seek counseling again to find out what was wrong with me.  I was eventually diagnosed with ADD and an above average IQ. 
I began to drink heavily to cope with what was going on at work.  I didn’t know what else to do.  I became good friends with the gentlemen who was head over all park rangers.  He had told me to come to him with anything.   I also called and talked to the park rangers where she had previously worked.  I wanted to know if it was just me she hated or had she done this before.  I asked if they had had any problems with her.  They told me they had and had kept a log of all she had done to them.  When she had come to my fort they had destroyed the log.  I began to compile my own, with dates as best as I knew them. I advised other to do the same.  I sent an email to the head of the park rangers telling him my problems. He told me to document everything and to speak to Tommy.  I was quite terrified as I did not like Tommy, but I typed everything up and made plans to meet with him any ways. I did not know that my emails were being monitored until Kathleen confronted me.

“Are you planning to turn me in?”
I did not speak until she became adamant and belligerent.  “Yes,” I finally said.  “How did you know?”

“I get a copy of all your emails.  How many incidents are you planning to turn me in on? One?” 
I said, “No, at the moment 12.”

“If I go, you go!”
I turned in my report in to Tommy anyways.  In a few weeks, Kathleen was given a bright shinny award for her service and then she officially “retired.”  I am quite sure it was retire or be fired. 

The question, for the higher ups, now became what to do with me, the whistle blower, and trader to the good old boy system.  I have always had problems in knowing when to keep my mouth shut, and this was one of the times.  I began to tell other rangers what I had done, how she had treated me and that I was the driving force behind getting rid of her.  No good deed goes unpunished.
I was sent to Los Adaes State Historic Site, a 18th century Spanish fort, a few miles away.  It was also run by the same manager that ran Fort Jesup.  Before I could apply for Kathleen’s job, someone else was appointed.  Los Adaes had no visitors, no internet, and few books.  I think it was their holding place for me, until they could figure out what to do with me. 

The new manager began to take inventory of everything on the site.  I was questioned about items that came up missing.  Some of these things had been missing for years, long before I ever got there.  One of these items was a reproduction pocket watch, total value about $30.  It had been in an exhibit and I began to carry it with me as part of my persona.  I did not wear a watch.  Didn’t think it would look too good with my historical dress.  I should have just bought a cheap plastic watch and put it in my pocket.  No one would have ever known, but I didn’t.  There were days that I would forget I was carrying it and come home with it.  In time I could not find the watch, now whether I lost it, or it was stolen from me I will never know.  When they finally confronted me about the watch I told them I did not know where it was.  I offered to pay for the watch.  I even offered to pay twice it’s value. 
There was also a sewing machine that came up missing that I was accused of stealing.  I had mentioned to them that mine was broken and in the shop.  I told them, “Why would I want your piece of plastic crap when I run a vintage cast iron 1969 Singer sewing machine.”  Because I could not prove to them that I had not stole the machine, and could not find the pocket watch, they fired me in January of 2005.  They told me, “You don’t meet our expectations.”  Tommy said, “I did not want to come down here and do this.  This came from high up.”  They had found their trumped up reason to get rid of me.  I was told I could never work for state parks again and that I was not allowed to ever set foot back on Fort Jesup property.  I even had to fight with them to get unemployment.  The judge concluded that although my actions may have been moral reprehensible they were not criminal and they could not deny me my benefits.

I have been asked over the years why I did not fight the state. I had no definitive proof that turning Kathleen in had caused my firing.  There were things like my sleeping pallet, the pocket watch and performance review that they would bring up.  I had no money to fight an organization that would close ranks to cover its ass and protect its own.  No matter what had been done. 
As for Jay he had been hired as a Park Ranger himself at the newly opened South Toledo Bend State Park, a job which he loved.  He was given six months in which to pass the physical, he failed.  So by March of 2005 both of us were unemployed and looking for work.

Jay and I continued to look for work.  Jay even went back to work at Albertsons for a few weeks.  He finally got a job with Family Dollar in Shreveport.  Jay was back to driving, to and from our house in Ebarb.  As gas was so expensive, he would spend a few nights a week with his mom or Momma Muriel, and then a few nights with me.
I spent the next nine months looking for work.  I even went back to selling Avon.  I was depressed.  I was demoralized.  To have been accused of theft, was soul crushing. I felt humiliated.   I felt I had borrowed the watch and lost it, never that I stole it.  We felt stuck.  I was terrified we would lose our home.  We had no idea what to do.  Then Katrina and Rita struck. 

Ilsa

No comments:

Post a Comment