Thursday, September 10, 2015

Queen of my double wide trailer

At Thanksgiving news came from my landlord that he intended to sell the little trailer I was renting.  I had a month to find a new place or to buy it from him.  I was a bit taken aback.  I phoned my parents who agreed to help.  Within two weeks my parents had found a repossessed 16 x 80, 2000 Skyline trailer for sale.  They put down the down payment and I signed the papers.  The trailer was put in my name so that if something ever happened between Jay and I, he could not suddenly kick me out of my own home. 

We began to look for a nice park to put our new trailer in.  That can be difficult as trailer parks are usually squished together, by park owners to make more money on lot rent.  They can also be denizens of human existence where drugs and crime run rampant.  We finally found a nice park, Peach Tree Hill Mobile Home part.  It was run by a police officer in the community of Ebarb.  The lots were spacious and what crime there was, was kept to a bare minimum.  There was also no problem with us building a pen for our dogs.  Hell the old boy running the place must have had 40 chickens in a coop attached to his barn. 
Our new home was moved in during the first week of December of 2003.  The house was in, but it was up to us to hook into the sewer system, the water line, and get a pole for the electricity.  Jay is kind of a jack of all trades.  On one of Jay’s days off he was busy under the house hooking into the sewer system.  That day there was a storm moving in and the wind was just a blowing.  Jay doesn’t like the wind, so he was just a cussing and a fussing at it.  I decided I need to take a break from him and let him cool down.  I told him I was going to go and haul the garbage off and that I would be back in a few minutes.  I told him he should take a break too.  I jumped in his dark blue Pontiac Grand Am and headed for the dump.

Now for those of you who live in the city and have curb side pickup, let me explain.  The dump is a country term for a place to take the garbage.  When I was a kid this meant driving down a dusty road and just throwing it out somewhere.  Then there are open landfill dumps where many people pick threw the garbage on a Sunday afternoon, looking for treasure.  A nice dump is one that has a big blue compacting bin with a fence around it, recycling options and a guard on duty during the hours it is open.  He is there for two reasons: to prevent people from picking thru the garbage and to stop people dropping off animals like garbage. 
Then you have what Sabine Parish had in the days that we lived there.  On the Sepulvedo Loop, not far from our house, there were three large open blue garbage bins.  People could just dive up anytime day or night and dump whatever they pleased there.  Often times what they dropped were unwanted animals.  Many times we drove up to find the dead bodies of dogs that had been used as bait dogs in dog fighting rings, or kittens with their eyes not open yet. Sabine Parish, in those days, had no animal control.  Family pets that were no longer wanted were simply dumped at these locations, with the hopes that they would fend for themselves.  Some survived, some did not.  I began to make the rounds at the dumps putting out food and water for these animals.  Once I moved to Sabine Parish I began working with their local human society. 

It was at the dump on the Sepulvedo Loop that Prince would enter our lives.  I had come to dump the garbage. I was not making my rounds that day.  It was just starting to thunder and mist.  I opened my door and then WHOOSH!  something had climbed over me.  I turned and looked in passenger seat and there was a half starved terrified little soul.  He was black and tan and looked to be half Chihuahua and half Dachshund, a Chi-Weenie.  I said, “Hello!?  Can I help you?” He was just shivering.  I did not know then that Prince was frightened of storms.  I told him that I worked with the Sabine Parish Humane Society and that I was there to help him.  I excused myself to throw the trash away, then got back in the car and drove to my house. 
I was so excited to have rescued a small dog.  I knew of several friends who were in want of a small dog.  I let Prince in the house while I finished doing something.  When I came in the house I was so excited to tell Jay what I had found. 

Jay is sitting in a chair in the kitchen and says, “Momma I think we have a problem.  I’m in love.”  There was Prince in Jay’s arms and giving him a hug.  Jay was smitten. 
“No,” I said, “I had already figured out who to adopt him too.” 

“Nope he’s mine now.”  And they hugged and that was that. 
I named him Prince because after I left Mike I told everyone I was going to treat myself like a queen because he never did.  My handle for a long time was HMQueenIlse, Her Majesty Queen Ilse.  A queen does not need a king to rule.  She can take care of herself.  Jay had become my King, and now we added a little Prince to our growing royal family. 

Prince had been thru hell.  When we found him he had 3 broken ribs, ringworm, 2 toes that had been dislocated and had healed crooked, and a BB permanently imbedded in his back.  The vet guessed he was a year and half old.  He was also a wreck emotionally.  While he loved Jay, he would let almost no other man touch him.  If a man with a baseball cap and a beard came around him, he would lose it.  It took us five years to be able to take him in public.  It wasn’t until the last few years of his life that he would even let a strange man touch him. 
So Prince, Precious, Pumpkin, Jay and I made a little family.  With our new home in place we went back to planning the wedding.  We intended to have two weddings, like normal people.  We did not plan to have three. 

Ilsa

No comments:

Post a Comment