Monday, September 21, 2015

Code Strawberry


Well I had intended to post to y’all yesterday September 17th, 2015, but my brain had other ideas.  Yesterday was a bad day.  It was Code Strawberry day.  That is my word for when all hell breaks loose.  Living with Anxiety, panic attacks and whatever else it is that I have, is often difficult.  I often have no warning as to when or where I will lose my mind.  It has made me kind of a recluse.  I am terrified I will have one of these while I am driving, and suddenly forget how to drive a car, or get to a place and not know how to get home.  The people who are around me know I have a code word, if for no reason what so ever, I saw STRAWBERRY, my friends know that I am about to go into an attack.  They know where my medication is, how to administer it to me, how to handle me, who to call and not to take me to the hospital.  My attacks leave me disoriented and confused, and sometimes unable to speak. I even carry paperwork with me telling first responders what to do with me, where my meds are, and not to stick me in the psych ward again.  It may take several hours, but it will pass.  The medicine usually helps, but then I have days like yesterday.

Yesterday I woke up fine.  I’d had a bit of a strong dream in that I was dreaming of Melinda.  You will meet her in my later posts.  I had been thinking about her before I went to bed, trying to figure out how best to tell that part of my story.  Melinda was not a violent character in my life, but just another one of those people, who kind of used me and then threw me to the wolves, after years of a deep friendship. 

When I woke up I was disoriented and confused.  I felt like I was swimming in molasses.  I felt like my brain was processing, but at a very, very slow speed.  I was on dial up basically.  My since of time and reality was off.   I had hoped to shake, whatever it was, off.  I got up and had breakfast, but it got no better.  An hour after I woke up I decided perhaps it was best I take a pill, just in case.  I did not want it to get worse.  The pill did not help.  Before I knew it I was breaking out the coloring books, not because I felt anxious and was trying to settle myself, no it was because I felt like I was about 6 years old. 

I knew what kind of animals I had, but I was unsure of their names.  I knew what year it was, where I was, who I was married to, and that I was living in a larger, older body.  I knew I was Ilsa, not someone else.  This is not the first time this has happened.  It happened the day I was hospitalized.  It happened a year to the date, when I had another major attack.  Most of that was brought on by stress I was under with Melinda.  But I have also had these attacks where they were not in context of a panic attack.  A few months after I was hospitalized, I woke up at 4 o’clock in the morning and suddenly felt like I was 6 years old and wanted to color.  And so that is what I did.  I went in my altar room, got out my colors and did that for about 2 hours.  When I was finished I ran to wake Jay up, stifled the urge to jump up and down on the bed, and woke him up to show the picture I had just colored for him.  He told me how wonderful it was, convinced me I needed sleep and to cuddle under the covers with him.  I did.  When I woke in the morning I was fine. 

Yesterday I was totally by myself.  After I took my pill I called to my therapist, who was very busy.  I told her I was safe and not a danger to myself or others, and was not going to drive my car.  I said, “I just wanted you to be able to talk to me in this state.”  I called Jay too.  Juno and Kay were not home, or I would have had them come over and sit with me.  After coloring for a while I looked out on the beautiful day and wanted to be part of it. 

But I knew I had to get dressed and take my meds.  Two things I was not terribly sure I knew how to do.  But I made it threw and was able to figure it all out.  I grabbed a quilt, some books from my childhood, water, my cell phone, my sunglasses, and of course lip gloss.  When was a kid I never went anywhere without my lip gloss.  I spread out my quilt on the grass, in as much of the shade as I could, put my bag down and then let out the goats and Mr. Henry the piggy.  We all happily visited for a while.  I texted Jay.  I was amazed that in that state I knew how to use modern technology, but I did. 

As I was laying outside it kind of let go of me and I came back to myself.  I was a bit confused and disoriented again, as to how I got outside on a blanket.  I knew I had done it, but had had little control over what I did.  I had been in that state for about 4 hours. 

I think I was angrier over losing most of my day, as I had things to do, and the things I had planned obviously, did not get done.  At that point I was just exhausted.  When Jay came home he ordered me to have a nap, whether I wanted one or not.  When I woke from my nap I was still confused.  It wasn’t until we had gone to bed last night, and I woke somewhere in the night, that I felt I was really back to myself. 

In the two with panic attacks attached to them I kind of spent the day growing up.  Yesterday I did not.  One moment I felt I was 6 years old, and ten minutes later I was in touch with my 40 year old self.

I wonder what the hell is wrong with me and if I will ever get any better?  I think part of the reason I am writing this blog is so that someone can help me and give me a good definition of what is going on with me both emotional, mentally and perhaps spiritually.  I have no doubt all three are connected.  Now y’all come back and tell me to get right with Jesus and it will stop, or that I’m possessed, and I will kick your fucking asses!

If you are suffering from mental illness I encourage you to have a code word as well, instructions you carry with you at all time, and educate those around you about what to do with you if this happens.  It might save you a trip to the psych ward, or save your very life. 

I hate to say it, but never underestimate the stupidity of people.  My roommate in college had terrible seizures.  She was allergic to all the medications available at the time, so she would have upwards of 7 Petit Mals a day.  It would never fail.  She would go missing for a few days, and then show back up.  I’d ask what happened and she would tell me she had a seizure walking to class, and woke up in the Psych Ward, again.   She also carried no identification on her that said she had seizures.  The first responders didn’t know what was happening to her and just thought she was crazy or on drugs, I guess.  I don’t want the same for you. 

Ilsa

No comments:

Post a Comment