Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Becoming Druid

When Holda’s Hands fell apart, those were dark days for me.  I had been what I always wanted, a leader and a teacher to my people, twice and I had lost it all.  Just Juno and Kay stayed.  Juno defined herself as Druid.  I knew that there were other Druids in town, so I set out to find out what they were up to.  I didn’t want her to feel alone anymore. I had met Boogie and Rovena when I first came into this community.  They were and still are wonderful people.  Boogie, Rovena, me and others had tried hard to strengthen the ties of the individual covens in this area, into a more cohesive group that could work together.  But after years of trying we came to understand they just didn’t want to play together.  And what Mike D. did caused the divide to be ever greater. 

So I called Boogie and Rovena.  It had been a while since we had spoken.  They told me they were meeting regularly at the local Unitarian Universalist (UU) church now and why don’t we swing by and visit.  I said we would.  So Juno, Kay and I loaded up and drove over.  Boogie and Rovena have been involved in Ar nDraiocht Fein (ADF) for many years now.  They have never wavered from their faith in the organization. They had finally begun their own Proto-grove.  Now ADF is a Druid fellowship, with branches all over the world called groves.  It is very warm and opening to all persons.  While people in the group call themselves Druid, that term is used loosely.  You do not have to worship in gods in the Celtic pantheon, or be of Celtic decent to be a Druid to them.  You can choose whatever Indo-European culture you like Heathen, Roman, Hellenic, Slavic, Anglo – Saxon, etc.  So Heathens like me were readily accepted. 
It was so wonderful to see Boogie and Rovena again.  It was just like old times.  In an ever changing world, they are ever constant.  Juno felt right at home, and what’s better, not alone anymore.  I have never defined myself as Druid.  Yes Heathen with heavy Druid leanings, but not Druid.  So much in Paganism is how you define, or don’t define yourself.  I had spent many years among Wiccans; remember there were almost no Heathens in the area.  So many of the things I did in my practice are Wiccan based, calling corners, making circles, sweeping out negativity, etc. I have at times defined myself as a Norse Witch. I carried around a lot of shame for being asked to leave two covens, and having two of my own groups collapse on me.  I felt unwanted and in a way jinxed.  Despite being welcomed by Boogie and Rovena, I felt like I belonged nowhere. 

I got to know two young ladies in the Druid group, D &K.  About a year after coming, I got to know them a lot better.  D, K, Juno, Kay and I began talking about getting Holda’s Hands back together.  There were certain aspects of my spiritual life I did not feel were being fulfilled.  D&K felt the same way.  We began to hold ritual again.  Now Juno and Kay had moved into our guest bedroom a few weeks before and D&K suddenly decided they wanted to move out here too.  So they bought a little 17 ft. trailer and moved out back of my house. 
We all lived in one great big Pagan commune for about 3 months before everything fell apart again.  D was controlling and manipulative.  Not long after moving in she decided to sit down and tell me everything I did wrong with my life.  Then she tried to split Juno and Kay up.  After that she began to say that I was a racist.  D&K had an odd relationship.  One we are still scratching our heads over.  They had at several points during their relationship been lovers, but were not at the time they lived here.  They lived together, slept in the same bed, and K did everything for D.  It took us a while to understand that D was using K and viewed her, unconsciously or not, as her own personal servant.  We confirmed that one night when D tells Juno, “You’re going to have to train Kay, just the way I trained K, like a dog.”  Juno and I were flabbergasted. 

After about 3 months I had had enough.  It ended badly for all of us.  The day that I asked D to leave, Juno spent hours yelling at me telling me what a horrible person I was for doing such.  She said, “If she goes, I’m going too.”  And she did.  Juno my dear and precious friend did not speak to me for over a year.  I was crushed.
No coven wanted me, I chose not to be a part of Druid anymore because D, K, Juno and Kay were still going, and I was in what felt like a forced exile.  I spent the next year as a solitary.  I was alone.  A place that is very difficult for an extraverted witch like me. 

Then April of last year I got a surprise Facebook message from Juno.  A message I thought I would never receive.  In it she poured out her heart.  She was sorry for what had taken place.  She and Kay had moved in with D&K.  It did not take them long to see in D many of the things, that I had been saying all along.  Juno and Kay had recently moved out and now had their own home.  She did not know if I would respond but she wanted to apologize none the less.
I responded as quickly as possible, that I had long ago forgiven her, and would she consider meeting me for tea.  We were quickly reunited.  She was still involved with the Druid group.  D&K were not.  In no time at all I was back hanging out with the Druids.  It was so good to see Boogie and Rovena again, still ever constant.  I have been back almost a year and a half now.  While this ADF Proto-grove was not the place I had envisioned for myself, it has become a wonderful, loving and safe place for me to be. 

One Saturday not long ago, I sat in the UU grove with Rovena.  I told her, “I have been kicked out of two covens, started and had two of my own, and watched them dissolve before my eyes.  I never wanted to put down roots here with y’all in the Proto-grove, because I was terrified of being asked to leave again.  Silently, in the bottom of my heart, I have been waiting for a call from the HP coven telling me to come home.  It’s been three years.  That call is never coming.  I have cut and bound my cords and it is in your ritual fire I want to burn them.  I now understand what a profound state of grace I have been in.  I have been moved ahead of trouble, so many times.  I believe I am now ready to try and give myself to this group fully.”  Rovena, ever constant, just looked at me, said she understood and smiled.  I threw my bundle in the pit and Boogie helped me set it on fire.

Ilsa 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment