Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The last little bit


In April my friend Marie went into the local mental hospital, Brentwood.  She came to me one night and told me that her husband, Jack, had told her that after 14 years of marriage, he no longer loved her.  This sent her into a rage and she tried to kill herself.  Jack had stopped her.  Jack was going to put her in Brentwood so she might get better.  I asked her if she wanted me to help her pack.  She said, “Yes.”  I went across the street to help her pack. 

Marie would spend 10 days in Brentwood.  She was my best friend.  We spent almost every day together.  We had become friends no long before Momma Muriel died.  Her little wire hair Dachshund Buddy, would often wander across the street, threw my doggy door and into my bed.  I would call her and say, “You missing somebody?”  It was Marie who helped me get through many challenges in my life.  During those first few hard months after Momma Muriel died, I knew Marie would be coming over at 5 to drink a glass of wine with me.  I asked her to go to Novelle’s funeral with me, to make sure I didn’t spit in her coffin. 

Marie got mixed up in drugs. She came to me one day and told me she had a $200 a day meth habit, but that she had been clean for a few weeks.  I told her to stay clean or we would no longer be friends.  Slowly she would shut me out.  I knew she was back on drugs.

In April of 2014 I received a Facebook message from her.  I asked if she was done with drugs, and she told me she was.  She had been arrested and convicted on 3 felonies.  She had been clean for a year and a half.  Now clean to her was a relative term.  Marie was a drunk.  She would go threw a 5 liter box of wine in two days.  She stayed away from purple wines, because she drank so much it would turn her teeth purple.  She was also addicted to pain killers for her back and hip. 

Jack did pretty much everything for her.  Marie sat in her chair and drank most days.  Jack had bough her a car, and she had destroyed it.  She told me at one point, it had become a rolling meth lab.  We were both shocked when Jack told her he was no longer in love with her.  Jack was a great man of faith.  He told her he had been praying for two years, that he would fall back in love with her and it just never happened.  He would be willing to go to counseling, but was pretty sure he wanted a divorce.  After everything she had put him through, who could blame him. 

I was a wreck when Marie went to Brentwood.  I called her every day.  I had three or four panic attacks in that 10 day period.  I cried myself to sleep at night, more than once.  A week after Marie got home she was sitting at my kitchen table one night.  She began to tell me that she had breast cancer.  That they had found it with two blood test while she was at Brentwood.  They confirmed it with a mammography.  She then asked me how bad stage 3 was.  We were all pretty shaken up that night.  But something just did not sit well with me.  Her story did not seem plausible.  Why would they do all that at a psychiatric facility?  Could they?

I happened to have an appointment with my GYN the next morning.  I asked him some of these questions.  He told me there was no blood test for cancer.  And to have a mammography at a mental facility did not seem right.   Turns out it was all a lie.  When I confronted Jack with everything that had gone on, I asked him if she lied a lot.  Jack said, “Sometimes yes and sometimes no.” 

Everything came to a head the night Prince died, May 5th, 2015.  I had taken Marie home from my house and confronted her there.  Buddy was still at my house.  Jay would drive over a bit later and bring Buddy home.  Prince wanted to ride with his dad.  We did not notice he was running after Jay.  I was outside, talking to Juno, when I heard Prince get hit on the road and scream.

We ran across the street.  He’s been hit, but he was not dead.  Marie had come out of her house, crying and asking what had happened.  Begging me to forgive her.   All of us took him back across the street to my house.  He was fading.  It would not be long.  Even if we floored it to the emergency vet, he would be dead by the time we arrived.  If he was going to die, let it be at home.  Juno and I lit some candles on my altar, burned some incense and called for the Gods and ancestors to come close.  We would need them now. 

Prince had been sick for about 6 weeks.  He had had what we thought was a heart attack one night.  I just woke up screaming and disorientated.  The next day the vet  diagnosed he with an enlarged heart. He was on medication, but he did not want to eat for us.  Every day was a struggle.  I wonder sometimes if Prince committed doggie suicide.  I wonder if he just didn’t want to live anymore.  Prince died in Jay’s arms an hour after being hit. This child who had been so abused and unwanted, passed in loving arms, and surrounded by his family.  We all took turns holding him.  We buried him the next day, next to Punka. 

Since his passing, we have built a little area I call “the grove.” around his and Punka’s graves, at Holda’s Well.  It is a small area covered in bricks, with seating places on either side.  Now I can sit with them alone, or with guests.  It is a great little peaceful spot, where I can listen and watch the birds and get internet reception on my tablet. 

I have not seen Marie since that night.  I do not blame her for Prince’s death.  I just want nothing to do with a liar.  I’ve had too many in my life.  Jay and I retain a good relationship with Jack and saw him recently. 

In June I had my year physical with my PCP.  I told him I was having terrible anxiety and several panic attacks a week.  He put me on Buspar and it has been a God send.  I have not felt this good since before Oma died when I was 6.  It took a few months to get me to feeling better.  August 6th , I started writing again for the first time in many years.  I have written or edited almost every day since then. 

Ilsa

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment