Monday, August 24, 2015

Pagan FAQ

I wanted to put together a little list of some of the questions you may be asked now that you are a pagan.  I am going to give you my responses and some ideas on what you may say. 

Can you do a spell for me? Or a love spell?
Whether you want to work a spell for someone is entirely up to you, whether you really like this person, and you feel your abilities are to that point.  My usual response is to tell someone how to do it themselves as it will be a much stronger spell and hopefully work.  As for a love spell, I have yet to find a reputable witch who can do such a thing.  Most experts agree love spells don’t work.  You can make a lust spell that is pretty powerful, but love and lust are two different things. 

Do you worship Satan?
You are going to get this question.  It is best to have a preplanned answer.  Mine is, “No! Satan is a Christian construct.”  Unless you are left hand path this will probably be your answer as well.   It is best to do some research into Satan, so you may explain how you are different.  As I have said before, know your craft backwards and forwards, because half of your life you will spent educating those around you.  I finally got my mother to stop asking me this question by showing her my altars, in my altar room and explaining them.  I finally asked her, “Do you see Satan anywhere in this room?”  When she answered, “No.”  I told her never to ask me that question again.  My husband also threatened her.  She has finally gotten the point.

Can you fly on a broom?
Now I like to have a little fun with this one.  I say, “Yes!  The laws of physics bend just for me!”  I laugh and then tell them, “of course not.”  I explain the legend comes from when ladies used to rub a hallucinogenic compound on their brooms, and then straddle them with no panties on. They believed they were flying. 

Can you turn by boss, ex-lover, or mother-in-law into a frog or other creature?
You can have fun with this one as well.  But at some point you are going to have to tell them, No.  If you got into magic to do things like this, I hate to disappoint you, but magic may not be for you.  Transfiguration only works in Harry Potter.  I find that this person may need to talk about why they want this done to this person.  Sit and listen to their problems.  Listening and a compassionate heart are the best tools a witch can have.  They may just need someone to talk to.  Be there for them. You are a witch for a reason.  I feel being a witch or a pagan is about serving the needs of those around us both human and nonhuman.

Can you curse someone for me?
There are two answers to this question.  Yes and No.  Yes, curses can be done.  Sometimes they are effective and sometimes they are not.  To curse someone is not for the novice witch and DAMNED SURE not to be taken lightly.  Magic is a powerful and precious thing.  It is not all sparkles, rainbows, unicorns and lollypops people.  It is not all black and white. There is a lot of gray area too.  You have got to understand that what you give you get back, witches say three fold and Druids say 3x3x3 or 9 fold.  If you do a curse you are going to have to take your hit points.  Shit may fall apart in your life; you may lose your health, your job, your home, or your family.  All kinds of bad shit can go down because of what you have done.  And you can’t just say, “I’m sorry.  Forgive me!” and get out of it. You need to weigh that against how bad you want to hurt this person and what is going to happen to you and the ones you love.  For damn sure don’t do it for someone you just met, someone you want to impress, or for someone who doesn’t understand what and who you are.

If you are in that kind of situation, where you feel a curse may be necessary you need to consult your elders and those around you.  Most of the time all it takes is invoking the right god / dess for the situation, calling the ancestors and lighting a candle.  Karma will take its course.

Have I ever cursed someone?  No.  I don’t have that knowledge. But I know people who can. I have called for people’s karma to come to them in this life and not the next.  I regret that.  I did not have all the facts in that situation.  It took years to learn all the facts involved.  I have put people in jars to stop them, to bind them.  My health is bad enough, and I love my family too much to put them at risk, to do this kind of work. 

Did you put a curse on me?
You may be asked this at some point.  Assure the person you did not.  Explain to them, what has happened is the result of their actions, not anyone else’s.  They may not like hearing that, but it’s probable true.  They may just be looking for someone to blame.

Can you read my cards? Or my palm?
That is up to you.  I am a very slow card reader.  I am still learning.  I trust my intuition, but I also use a book and take notes during my reading.  I usually say yes, if I feel well.  I explain that I am slow and still learning and for them to give me time, but yes I would love to practice on them. I like readings where I have the person with me.  I use the cards as more of a counseling tool and to get people to talk about what is going on in their lives.  It may also reveal things that they did not know, the future or things they may not want to talk about.  It is best to have discretion and some tact when handling these delicate situations. 

As for price, some of you may feel you need to charge.  That is up to you.  I feel we are born witches to help our community.  Many people feel it is best to give a gift in exchange for a reading.  I had two people who used to read my cards, both smoked.  So if I asked for a reading I would give them a pack of cigarettes.  What you take in exchange is up to you.

Are you a good witch or a bad witch?
I think this goes back to that Satan question.  In almost 40 years of living and almost 10 of those years spent as a witch I have come to believe people are both.  We are both good and bad.  All of us have a shadow self, or a side we don’t like.  We are capable of incredible kindness and intolerable cruelty.  It just depends on the situation. 

My current answer is I am a white witch, but don’t push me. 
This idea of good or bad witches goes back to; one how the media and history portrays us and two Abrahamic religious thinking of the world as good and bad.  Magic is energy.  It is neither good nor bad, white nor black, it simply is.  There is a whole lot of gray in there.  A situation you may see as bad may turn out for the best.  You never know how you are being moved ahead of the game.  You may be being removed long before a situation ever gets bad or harmful. 

Then the idea is why you became a witch or pagan.  Was it because you were looking for the gods and wanted to give them worship or was it because you thought you could acquire some power to hurt people?  The answer is up to you. 
Ilsa

 

No comments:

Post a Comment