Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A little crazy, just like me

I have been in counseling on and off for about 20 years, since before I left Mike.  Diagnoses that have been kicked around me include words like, depression, PTSD, panic attacks, anxiety, Bi-polar, ADD and even psychotic.  In the Southlands there is still a huge stigma about going to seek any kind of psychiatric help.  There are three theories; one you just need to suck it up and deal with it, you need more Jesus in your life and / or the Devil is messing with you and you need to just rebuke him. 

Not long after Mike raped me I began to journal on my computer at work.   I was also very suicidal at this time.  I wrote a piece where I talked about wanting to kill him. That even decapitating him and letting the blood run down my arm would not be good enough for him.  I did not know, as many of you may not, that the computer you type on at work is not a safe place to do this.  You see my managers went by, every now and again, and checked those computers to see what we were doing on them.  I didn’t know that, until one day I was pulled into my manager’s office and confronted with what I had written.  I was told you either go to counseling, which was paid for by the company, or you’re fired.   So reluctantly I went.  It saved my life.  Two weeks into counseling I left Mike. 
His abuse left me with PTSD and severe depression. After that I spent about 2 years in counseling, I reached a stable point.  I was monitored and kept on anti-depressants.  Meds were changed every now and again and adjusted as needed. 

I have always been anxious, you know my nerves are bad, I’m wound a little too tight, and it has progressively gotten worse over the past 7 years or so.  Since Momma Muriel died, she was my best friend and Jay’s grandmother.  I developed panic attacks about 4 years ago, often having them in my sleep.  I freeze, I go damn near catatonic and have trouble speaking, I zone out, I rock, I hum, I want to hide, I am disoriented and sometimes if this goes on too long I regress to a younger age. 
Looking back I have had a few of them over the years, but nothing as bad as I did on August 25, 2011.  It took us almost a year to figure out what had happened to me.  The final conclusion was that I had a panic attack in my sleep.  I dreamed I was trapped and could not get out.  I awoke in a panic state.  I did not know who I was or where I was.  I sat in the bathroom for about 10 minutes trying desperately to figure out my name.  You cannot imagine how desperate that feels. With every breath it seemed to come close and then fad away.  Something as basic as my name, I forgot. Our name is such a basic part of identity.  Everything looked foreign to me and not like my stuff.  When I did come up with at name, it was one from a past life.  It took a while before I remembered who I was.  The image in the mirror scared me.  I did not recognize myself.  I was finally able to come up with my name.  I began to zone out.  When I zone out I stare at an object and cannot break my concentration.  You can sit and call my name and wave your hands in front of my face and I will not come out.  This can go on for a few seconds to a few minutes.  And then I do it again. 

I would have a few moments of clarity, enough that I knew I had to go out and milk the goats.  I got out my milk basket and stared at it for thirty minutes.  I could not remember what went in it.  Something I did every day I could not remember how to do.  When I had another moment of clarity I called my parents to come to me.  I manage to remember their number and get out the words, “Momma I need you.”  Jay was on the road working for Unifirst at that time and could not get to me.  My parents arrived an hour later.  What I could say was word salad.  Meaning I would say a few words at a time, that was often a great effort on my part, but that made no since at all to the people around me, but made since to me.  I remember being I the bathroom when my parents arrived, unable to call out to them and tell them where I was.  When I saw my mother I raised my arms to her, a gesture often seen in young children who wish to be picked up.  My mother was freaked and they believed I may have had a stroke.  I at the time had no idea what was going on or what was happening to me.  I looked at my father and kept saying “goats.”  I was trying desperately to get him to understand I had not milked and would he please milk them for me.  I was terrified they would get mastitis, if he didn’t.
 It was decided that I would be taken to the hospital.  When I arrived at the fire station I could not speak only point and shake my head yes or no.  I felt about 3 or 4 years old at this point.  I was loaded into the back of the truck, where I saw one of my husband’s (he is a volunteer fire fighter) buddies.  “Paul!  Paul!”  I called out.  I kept saying “cake.”  Trying to ask if they liked the cake I had brought them the week before.  When asked my social security number I showed numbers on my hand.  I could answer no questions verbally. 

I did not know until later, that after the ambulance pulled off with me, that Paul and others had talked to my family.  They told them, they knew me and that whatever had happened to me they had never seen before.  They were scared for me.  They had no explanation what was going on with me.
I arrived at the hospital and was immediately given a battery of tests including drug screen and CT SCAN.  Everything came out normal.  As the hours went on I got a little better.  I was able to tell them the year I thought it was “1987,” but I knew Obama was president.  Some questions I could respond to, who is with you, “mom and dad” but I sit could not say my name or what day of the week it was.  To that one I answered, “Jay away, green panties.”  Which to me meant Jay was gone, and Jay got paid on Thursdays and I wore my green panties on Thursdays.  It’s not just your speech at that time that won’t work right but your whole brain.  I remember crying coming back from the CT because I was so frustrated that I could not communicate and because I did not understand what was happening to me.

And then the first break happened.  Mom turned out the lights, so I could rest, and BOOM I had my first moment of clarity.  The nurse walked in, “Hey!”  I said.
“Hey” she said

“No I mean turn around.”  She turned around and I unloaded on her.  I told her answers to all the questions she had been asking me.  My name, my SSN#, my address, the year, my age, where I was and who I was with. 
“Let me get to my computer.”  She said and began to type feverously.  I ended with, “I have no idea what has happened to me, and no idea how long this moment of clarity will hold.” 

It didn’t last long, maybe 20 minutes.  By the time the Dr. came I was back in it.   It finally broke an hour later.  I was clear headed, if not a bit confused by everything that had happened. I had been in that attack for about 3 or 4 hours total.  It was decided at some point that I was a danger to myself and I would be held in the psych ward.  Now going to the crazy ward was one of my greatest fears.  I was held for 24 hours and then released. 
I saw my primary care physician (PCP) that Monday and had an EEG done a few days later.  Whatever I had had was not a seizure.  It took us months to figure out what had happened to me. That December, thru the encouragement of friends and family I began counseling again, for the first time in years.  I have been there ever since. 

Panic attacks have changed my life.  I now carry papers with me, at all times, telling of my condition and what to do if I am incapacitated.  I carry medicine with me everywhere I go.  It must always be in easy reach, because I do not know what will trigger it. My panic attacks often occur in my sleep.  I awake terrified and disoriented, but I never let it get as bad as the first time.
They come on much faster now.  I never know where they will hit.  Crowds are one of my triggers so I take my service dog, Sophia, with me on those occasions.  But even then she doesn’t always help.  Everyday life is difficult and normal events are often big undertakings.  A recent trip to Wal-Mart and Sam’s, with Sophia and Jay in tow, was too much for me.  I walked into Sam’s and it started, by the time I got to the back of the store it was on.  I tried, like I try every time to fight, to talk myself out of it, to tell myself I am being silly, by the time I got to the check out I had to take a pill.  Even after taking my medication it was two more hours, before I was relaxed and speaking in complete sentences again.  Once you are in a panic attack then comes the guilt, of all the strain you put on your partner.  That they should not have to be with someone who is as sick in the head as you are.  That they deserve a normal life and that is obviously not with you.  That he should just leave you alone and let you die.  That is would be best for everyone concerned.  It’s like a causality loop.  It just repeats again and again.  All this despite the fact I am on medication, in counseling, have rescue meds with me, and a service dog.  Sometimes there is just no escape from your own mind. 

Ilsa

No comments:

Post a Comment