Tuesday, August 18, 2015

From where I sit

So I want to give you a little about my creative process, describe where and how I live for you.  I forget sometimes that you are not here with me as I write that you can’t see what I do.  And then I have the images of who and what you, dear reader, might be.  Am I your favorite blog you like to read as you are riding on something, exotic to me, like a subway.  Do you live in the city?  Are you lying in bed with your wonderful Wi-Fi.  Or are you at a public library.  Do you suffer from panic and anxiety like me?  Are you thinking of becoming Pagan?  Did you find me by Googling something about any of the above subjects or did someone suggest this to you on Facebook?  Who knows?  I figure, at least for a while, people who read this blog and follow me, will be people I know or they will be friends of friends.  I wonder how you see me.

I am 39, a woman, large, and of German and Scotch-Irish decent.  I was raised in Logansport, Louisiana but all my people are from Keatchie.  My family has been in this area for about 5 or 6 generations.  My husband Jay and I live on about 22 acres in northern Caddo parish, which is in Northwest Louisiana, USA.  We have a farm with, as of this writing, 6 dogs, 3 goats and a pig.  Those numbers change frequently.  I live in a trailer about 600 feet off of the main road.  I life so far back that I cannot get internet at my house, as the cable man told us, “we cannot give you internet as the signal would be too degraded.”  As for satellite internet, I do not have a clear view of the Southern sky and have been told I would have to cut my trees, something I refuse to do.  Now Juno, who lives in the house in front of me, is only about 300 feet off the road and has cable internet! 
I am also plagued with a cell phone problems, as in they don’t work out here.  I get one bar on my cell phone in my yard.  I have to leave the property and drive about 3 miles, towards the interstate before it will really work well. And what is worse is the house phone is based off a cell signal, so it does not always ring when someone calls, or I can talk for about 5 minutes before I lose my signal, or my personal favorite, you go to dial out and you have no signal.  Ugh!!!  I am lucky I have a tablet that picks up an internet signal, but I just have to go outside to use it. 

So my stories are typed up on an old IBM think pad, that someone gave me some years ago, and now refuses to connect to the internet. I am typing in Microsoft Word 7, and listening to James Taylor’s Before this world.  I try to write every day.  My stories are saved to a Gig stick.  In a few days I will drive the 7 miles into the closest town, go to the local library and upload these to my blog.  This is why I post so many stories at one time.  You are getting a week’s worth of writing at a time. 
Out my window I can see my porch, my car, my flags, onward to the goat pen and barn, a little farther to Juno’s house, and then finally I can see a tiny portion of the road and some cars as they drive by.  Our place is heavily wooded.  We have lots of wild life and lots of wights or fae. 

Have you ever seen a movie called “Conagher?”  It’s a great movie if you get the chance to see it.   In it is a lonely widow woman, Evie.  She is so isolated that she begins to write and ties these bits of writing onto tumbleweeds.  She says in the end, “I had to talk to someone.” I agree.  My life is very isolated.  I often do not leave my farm for days at a time.  At first it was because we were tending animals, then it became because I didn’t have the gas money.  I may see no one for days but my husband, Juno and her partner.  Trips into the big town of Shreveport take a while to get to, and then we never know if my anxiety is going to be good enough that day to go or not. 
I try to write every day, but some days that just does not happen.   Most days it does.  I have never written this much in my life.  I started writing about age 12; when my teacher told me I had the gift.  I never believed it, because there was another girl in my class who could write circles around me.  Over the years I have written when the muse descended.  I’ve written short stories, tried to start novels, and even got about half way through writing a book.  But one night I burned it all, and gave it back to Gods.  Telling them I no longer wanted this burden, to please find someone else to write these things. 

There was a time in my life, between Mike and Jay that I wrote an article in the local news paper called, “The Prodigal Daughter.”  It talked about the news in Keatchie, but also there were stories of my life.  I published one 500 to 700 word article a week, and some weeks it was hard to write that much.  I began to have a fan following and I began to understand I did have the gift.

That was the last major writing I did.  I am now writing, on average 1000+ words a day.  In eight days I have written eight articles, with titles for four more.  I have never, ever done this!  The only thing I can think is it is the Buspar.  My anxiety level has finally gone down enough that I have time and space in my brain for this.  And it just all keeps pouring out. 
I came up with the title of “The unexpected life,” because I never expected to live this long.  There were times in my life when I believed I would be an academic.  As a child I wanted to be an oceanographer and later, during college, I dreamed of becoming an anthropology professor.  During those days I never dreamed I would one day run a farm or make a living dog grooming.  Living the life I live now has definitely been unexpected. 

If I had talked to 14 year old me I would never have believed that I would ever marry, moved away from my family, or even be alive 25 years later.  Like so many with depression I felt my life would be short, and I have never planned for anything more than a few weeks in advance.  There is an old saying, “if I’d known I was going to live this long, I would have planned better or taken better care of myself.”  Now almost 40 I am looking at a life that I hope to go on another 20 or 30 years if I am lucky.
I am coming to the end of my child bearing years.  Many of my friends from high school are already grandparents.  You now know, or will know from later articles that I am infertile.  I have finally given up hope.  I have begun to break up my collection of baby items I have kept all these years.  Family heirlooms are now going to be passed to other family members.  What hurts the most is I have no one to pass my knowledge along to.  No one to tell my stories to and no one to sing songs too.  No one who will remember Jay and me after we are gone.  No one will put us on their altars and bring us treats on our birthdays.  We will just be gone, but I guess that is the lament of many childless couples.  But maybe if I keep writing and posting we might have a little piece of immortality, living on in cyberspace. 

Ilsa

No comments:

Post a Comment