Monday, June 20, 2016

A year since I found myself

I just wrote down on my to do list, to remember to get out the hot glue gun out, to fix Jay’s headliner in his truck.  The irony of that is I have been staring at that problem for several years.  It’s just in the last few weeks that it has begun to bug me, and I have finally figured out how to fix it, and that is indicative of many things over this last year. 


Today is June 6th, 2016, and it’s been a year since I started taking Buspar.  It has been perhaps the most incredible year of my life.  I could never have believed life could be this good.  For the first time in many years I feel I have come home to myself again.  Opened to new experiences, and found myself again.  My brain and heart, once dulled by sadness and pain, now seeks out beauty in each day. 



I wanted to write you about all the things that Buspar has allowed me to do, but as I have thought about it over night, I have come to realized, half of what Buspar has done for me, is about what is gone in my life.  Gone is the daily anxiety, the tapes in my head that tell me I am an awful and horrible person, that I will never be good enough, the thoughts of suicide, that all I do will just end in failure.  For the first time, that I can remember, I want to live.  I am eager to greet the dawn of each new day, not angry that I am still alive.  I don’t remember feeling this good, at least, since before Oma died, when I was 7. 

Buspar works a bit like water, it wears away and repairs the bad stuff, drop by drop.  Slowly your eyes begin to open to things around you.  I feel like I have been asleep for at least the last 10 years, if not longer.  My PTSD, from years of abuse, had left my emotions dulled.  I have had to deal with each new intense emotion as they surged in my life.  I cry at the drop of a hat, but I don’t use it like a weapon, like my mom did.  I smile.  I am happy, truly happy with my life.  I fall in love with Mr. Jay, every day all over again.  It’s not that Buspar has given me back my life, it has given me a life I never dreamed possible.

A year ago today, the computer I am typing on, sat in a dusty bag.  The desk it sits on, was covered in junk, and I felt did not belong to me.  The dirty clothes and dirty dishes were more numerous.  My grooming and personal hygiene were subpar.  I was terrified of the next moment, not knowing when I would have a panic attack, or what the cause was.  I was a woman who frequently denied or felt ashamed of her biological genealogy.  I rarely cooked dinner.  I had no energy to exercise, and back spasms ruled my life.  I was blind to the problems in my life, big or small, and had no ability to think up how to fix them.  And I seemed to constantly be seeking out people and animals to save, when the only person I wanted saved was me. 

Today I write you from this computer, no longer dusty, on a desk I now claim as mine, above it a wall of inspiration for both my book and my life.  The dishes and clothes are not piled up.  The floor has been recently swept.  My nails are chipped, but painted, as they are every week.  My grooming and personal hygiene are exemplary.  I am no longer ashamed of my biological genealogy, and in fact I am quite proud of it.  Dinner is already defrosted, and I am thinking of how to cook it, and it’s not even noon yet.  I am looking forward to my evening floor exercises, and my walk in the morning.  Now when I see a project that needs to be fixed, it does not take me long to figure out how to fix it, emotional, mechanical, or otherwise, as if my brain was spinning at a faster rpm.  Drop by drop I am saving myself. 

I find there are not enough hours in a day to listen to all the music, read, clean, or write as much as I want to, but damn it I keep trying. 

In one year, not only have I increased my reading, introduced new music in my life, have a cleaner house, but I think my greatest accomplishment has been my writing.  Since August 2015 I have produced and posted over 95 articles to this blog, and at last count 152,368 words give or take a few.  My book currently has 17 chapters and 82,959 words.  In less than a year I have produced 235,327 words. This does not include plot outline notes, articles that will not be published, interview notes, and notes taken from the self-help books I read.  Not to mention hundreds of hours of research.  It is a staggering amount, even for me.  Saturday, I introduced myself to a new person and told them I was a writer, and for the first time, I didn’t feel like a fraud when I said that. 

When I picked up my pen, proverbially, to begin writing again, and started my blog, I wrote incessantly at first, terrified it was just a side affect of the medication and that all this would go away.  I know now, it is not.  My writing is here to stay. 

I am ever grateful for all Buspar has done from me.  It has given me courage to end relationships, go on without people in my life I thought I could not, start and deepen new relationships.  I can’t wait to see what the next year holds.

Ilsa

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment