Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Cold hands, warm heart, dirty feet and no sweetheart

So my Sophomore year in high school, we were still in the temporary buildings after our school had burned, waiting on the new school to be built.  Some recruiters came around and told us about LSMSA (Louisiana School for Math, Sciences, and the Arts).  It is a college prep school, run by the State of Louisiana, for Juniors and Seniors only.  It is located in Natchitoches on the NSU campus, where the students live.  Here they offer college level classes, and only the brightest kids in the state get in.  These recruiters told us they would be offering a slot to one of the students our school, should we met their entrance requirements. 

Mary and I both applied.  We both desperately wanted a better education, and the chance to learn more, something most of the kids in my school could have cared less about.  To get in we both had to take the SAT test, and go through an interview process.  Mary got in and I was named an alternate.  I still remember the disappointment I felt.  I had lost what I felt could have been a major opportunity for my life, and one of my best friends.

Now I hate to toot my own horn, as I was taught not to, but I am really, really smart.  I think we have talked about this before.  But I was never smart enough.  I wanted, most of my life to be in gifted and talented classes, but I always missed the cut off on the test by a few points.  I was named to Who’s Who every year, was always at least on the Honor Roll and about half of that time on the Superintendant’s List.  But I am an A and B student, never was a straight A kind of person.  I was civic minded and was in 4-H, National Honor Society, SADD (Students Against Drunk Driving), volunteered at the library and nursing home, and  I even tried and failed to form a Library Club.  My Jr. year or so I also rejoined the Girl Scouts, in hope of working my way into earning a college scholarship.  That did not happened, but I had a great time, mentoring those little girls. 

My yearbook is full of descriptions of me as beautiful, crazy, and kind.  I was smart and I reveled in what knowledge I could pick up.  Sometimes my classes were boring, so I brought my crochet, or another book to read.  I still remember reading “Food in History” during the down times in my World Geography class.

My favorite teacher about that time was Mr. Brian Gallent.  He was super cool.  He was tall with glasses and black hair.  He had worked for the Shreveport Journal, and then when it folded became a teacher.  He taught me Civics, World History, and World Geography.  I followed him around like a puppy dog, mainly because he was one of the few persons I could have an intelligent conversation with.  I think he helped really kick my love of other cultures into high gear.  I competed in both World Geography and World History at the regional level (called the Scholastic District Rally) and went to state in World Geography. 

I was one of the first to be enrolled in what was then called Tele-learning.  It was a Fine Arts Class.  We met during lunch.  It was being broadcast from NSU all around the state, and coming to us over the satellite.  It was being beamed not only to us, but to other schools all around the state.  We had a TV, microphones, and a pad we could write on.  Information appeared on a big TV screen of what we were to take notes on.  It was the for runner of an online class.  We could talk back and forth to the teacher at NSU my pressing the button on the microphone, but we were discouraged from talking to the other students.  My favorite thing to do was to talk an old boy from Oberlin.  He sounded like a trucker and was often hard to understand.

So I was smart, funny, being bullied, depressed, often suicidal, being told I was fat by those who loved me, told on a daily basis I was crazy, and very, very lonely.  Now I come from a different error my young friends.  Girls did not ask boys out, or so I was told.  If you did so you were very forward.  You had to wait until a boy liked you and told you so.  That was not part of my world.  I came home at night and talked to Sonya on the phone, helped mom with her homework, did mine, read, often cooked dinner and did chores, some nights I covered up my father with a blanket in his chair, after he had fallen asleep watching TV from drinking too much, and at the end of many, many days walked in my room, closed the door and wept.  Yes I was very, very lonely. 

I watched in jealousy as others around me feel in love, had sex, got pregnant, and seemed to be having a grand time of life.  I am sure all of them had their problems though.  Sometimes I watched as a boy I had a crush on, dated another girl.  If I was asked out, it was always as a joke.  Now you have to remember, in a class of 47, there were only 26 boys, 13 of them white, I was not allowed to date non whites.  No Blacks, No Indians, and No Chicano’s was my father’s rules.  He added no welders to that list a little later.  Of those 13 white males in my class, 4 were my bullies.  Of the remaining 9 or so who could potential date in my class, most of them had girlfriends in other towns or schools.  So to say the pickins were slim I think is accurate.  And to tell you the truth, I think most men were turned off by me because of my brain and my reputation for being crazy.  If the word “Nerd” had existed in my day, I am quite sure I would have identified myself that way.  Sad but true. 

 I even went stag to my Jr. Prom.  My parents chaperoned.  Most people showed up drunk and I remember dancing with a bunch of guys in a group and smelling liquor all over them.  The only slow dance was with my dad.  I would not go to my Senior Prom because of the whole Brett incident. 

Ilsa

No comments:

Post a Comment