Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Learing to Drive

Learning to drive is a rite of passage for most American teens.  My mother was nervous about me driving.  I think in those days, in Louisiana, you could get your learners permit at about age 14 and your license at about age 15.  I had to wait an extra year and I don’t think I got mine until I was 16 or so.  I think these ages have now been upped. 

Now as all good kids do, your Dad sits you on his lap, and lets you steer while he does the pedals, but other than that, I had not had much experience behind the wheel until I was a teenager.  I learned to drive on my family’s 88 Oldsmobile.  It was white with this gold metallic vinyl top, that we had to have re-toped at some point.  Daddy took me down the Bogle Road, out close to where my Great-Grandmother’s old place was, where we used to go fishing, and taught me to drive.  Oh I was the worst at getting the pedals mixed up.  The Bogle Road, for those of you who don’t know it, is this long stretch of black top, undivided, that goes for many miles back in the woods, on the outskirts of Logansport.  Few houses and lots of oil well sites, and lots of trees.  I think most of that land out there now is owned by Dow Chemical. 

Daddy pulled over to this well site and had me get behind the driver’s seat and then we eased off.  Driving that car, was like driving a tank, that back end was just huge, it was also kind of like driving a truck.  You have to remember your butt is extra long and trailing behind you, and you need to remember that you have to calculate for a bigger turn radius and parking.  Kind of like wearing a wedding dress or anything else that trails behind you.  We pull out of the site and on to the road, and Daddy is screaming at me to break.  I finally remember which one it is and apply it, about a foot from hitting the embankment in front of us.  Daddy, ever so calmly takes out his snuff and makes himself a dip.  I think he was shaking over the fact I had nearly killed us.  It took us a few more tries, before I was going down the road smoothly.  I did a lot of over correcting, but there were no cars coming so we were okay.

We had a few more of these sessions, with a lot more yelling, before Daddy finally handed me off to Mom to teach me to drive.  She taught me the finer points like driving on the highway and how to pass another car.  Scary stuff for me back then.  I still drive on the shoulder too much, when there is one to drive on around here.

So it was a while before they would let me out on the highway by myself, in my Comet.  I was told to practice in the front yard.  Now we had a big place about 5 acres total, but only about 2 or so of that I could drive on, and only when it was dry.  I remember driving between these great big pine trees.  Still don’t know how I didn’t end up in the ditch. 

One day I am practicing backing up and PAWYAH!  I hooked this little Pecan tree with my driver’s side fender.  It kind of stuck out a few inches from the car anyways.  The car was hanging, oh a good 6” to a foot off the ground, and Daddy had to come and pull me off with a chain on his truck.  None of them was too pleased with me.  Grandpa was mad I had hurt his tree, Mom was mad I had hurt her car, and I was embarrassed about the whole thing.  Now the body was solid metal, and I had bent in a section of car, so we just took a hammer and beat it back out.  You hook a tree today with one of these plastic cars and you will have to buy a whole new side of your car, if you don’t total it.  Yep metal cars were great, sucked on gas millage, but you could put them threw just about anything. 

Not long after I started driving I got my first job, outside of the family, babysitting Dobermans, for Phil and Ardella Browning.  I think I met them through my local library.  Either they knew me from my volunteer work there, from the community in general, or from a genealogy workshop I had taken from them.  I don’t remember and both of them are long gone now, so I can’t ask. 

They had been raising championship Doberman Pinschers for many years, but now only had two females left from their years of breeding.  Ardella and Phil wanted to travel, but needed someone to watch their dogs and their house for them.  They knew of my passion for animals and asked if they could hire me to watch over their dogs while they were gone.  I said sure!

Ardella thought it was best that I should meet the dogs first, and have her go over everything with me.  I will never forget driving up to her place.  There was a long drive way of the road to their house and at the end was a big gate.  Inside was a 2 story house, a rare thing in my neck of the woods, a greenhouse, and a pond out back.  Running lose in the front yard, with a florescent green color, was what I thought at first was a deer.  I got out of the car and said, “Ardella you have a deer running in your front yard with a collar on.”

She said, “Actually that is Bambi.  She is a fawn colored Doberman.”

I was dumb struck.  I didn’t know Dobie’s came in that color.  I had on only seen black and tan.  I was a bit frightened by these dogs.  All I knew was they were aggressive and used for dog fighting, but Ardella and Phil were not like that.  Suddenly this monster started to charge me, but I held my ground.  This massive black and tan Doberman, with cropped ears and tail, is coming at me full speed.  I’m terrified but when she gets to me, she doesn’t bit me, she swings her butt to me.  Confused I looked up at Ardella, who calmed me by saying, “This is Ursa, and she wants you to scratch her butt.”  She explained to me that Ursa had been taken from her mother too early, at 5 weeks, and she constantly wanted to be petted.  You could not stop petting that dog.  I’d be sitting in the swing, petting her, and my arm would get tired from so much petting.  I would quit and she would bump me with her nose to make me pet her more.  She was such a silly girl.  I loved her so.

I was paid $5 a day to come out, get the mail, check the answering machine for any important messages, feed, water and play with the dogs.  I was given the numbers to where Phil and Ardella would be and I was to call if anything happened, and they would come home instantly.  I am happy to say that I worked for Phil and Ardella for many years, and became good friends with them.  Only once did I have to call them home from a trip, when Phil’s sister became very ill and soon thereafter, I believe, passed away.

To keep myself straight on what day was what, and when they were coming home I kept a log of my time at their house.  On an old yellow legal note pad, I would write the date, and what happened that day.  If I had given medicine to one of the dogs, what the weather was like, any animals I saw, or what new dead thing had been drug up in the yard.  I always started it with something like, “Today was a great day.”  I always tried to use a new descriptive adjective every day, and never repeat myself.  It got quite tricky there when they were gone for two or three weeks at a time.  I’d pull out words like groovy and keen.  Ardella told me one time, “I look forward to coming back, just so I can read your little notes.  I didn’t know you kids even knew what keen meant.”  I just laughed. 

Phil and Ardella were married for more than 50 years.  They had met at a dance at a town Phil and his buddies had randomly chosen to go to.  Phil worked in the oil business, for Shell Oil Company, most often off shore.  He still wore the jumpsuit uniforms that lots of oil field works do.  He was the nicest guy, big and tall and with very broad shoulders.  Ardella was bright in her own right.  She was strong and independent.  She had obtained a HAM radio operators license, so that every night her children could say ‘Goodnight’ to their father.  This was in the 70’s.  Long before cell phones kidos.  She still had all her equipment and tower when I knew her 20 years later.  They had traveled all over the world and Ardella talked about learning to speak Portuguese when they lived in Brazil.  I’m tearing up now just thinking about her.  I miss her a lot. 

By the time I knew both of them, their children were all grown, and moved away.  Being in their house was like a refuge to me.  It was full of books, that I was welcome to read.  They helped me with my genealogy. There was this huge wind chime that was hanging between the dining room and the living room.  I loved to ring it, and hear it’s sound.  Ardella had her own art room with her sewing machine, and an organized yarn stash like you would not believe.  I think she was a knitter. 

My favorite part of the house was this little sunny area, on the other side of the kitchen sink.  It had two comfy chairs facing each other and two book cases, a his’ and her’s if you will, beside these very large windows.  This little cozy space looked out on the pond and Ardella’s bird feeder on the deck.  She used to sit in that chair, watching the birds and try to identify them.  While Phil sat and read his paper or did his crossword.  Happy to be together, and each still doing their own thing.  I loved this idea, that a woman did not have to give up being who she was in, order to be married.  That she could have interests outside church, cooking, cleaning, sacrificing for her children, and gardening.  I think that was new for me back then. 

I kept that job until I went to college.  I even worked for them the summer between graduating high school and starting college when I worked for McDonald’s in Center, Tx.  I handed the job off to a friend of mine, who worked for them for several years as well. 

Ardella battled cancer in the end.  She died when I was working at Fort Jesup.  My mom called me, at the Fort, to tell me that she had just found out.  It had been some time since she had passed.  I was so upset that I burst out in tears, and was inconsolable.  I handed the phone to the other ranger standing behind me, who had never spoken to my mother, and had no idea what was going on.  I had to sit down, before I fell down.  Although it had been many years since I had seen her, I still loved her very much.  She was my good friend.  Finally the other ranger hung up the phone, and I sat and told her most of what I have told you here. 

Phil remarried and died some years back.  I miss them both dearly and wish them well on the other side. 

Ilsa

No comments:

Post a Comment